Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sunday Pesto

I know I haven't been posting lately and I'm very sorry for that. I wanted to blame work but I figured I'm tired of creating excuses why I can't do this and that. Good thing though, my sister's friends came over tonight and she requested that I make pesto for them. Why not? When you've got no time to spare, Basil Pesto will always be everyone's go-to recipe!

Here's a series of photos to accompany you. Okay, I know my watermark sucks. Worry not, I promise that by tonight, I'm gonna have a decent watermark design. So going back...

1. Blanch and shock 2 cups of basil leaves

Why the need to blanch and shock? Shocking is when you immediately transfer what you're boiling or steaming to a bowl of ice to stop the cooking. The reason why were doing this is because basil leaves tend to lose its colour when cooked. 

2. Toast 3 tablespoons of Pignoli Nuts


Some recipes do not call for toasting nuts but I figured that when you toast nuts, its flavour becomes more robust. The nutty flavour of the Pignoli nuts contribute well to a pesto recipe, unless you want your guests to only feel its texture without the taste. But we don't want that, do we?

3. Drop in 3 cloves of garlic, basil, toasted pignoli nuts and a handful of salt into a food processor. 

Pulse until the the basil and Pignoli nuts are coarsely chopped. But if you want a smoother pesto, pulse further.


4. With the motor running, drizzle in 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. 

5. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in 1/3 cup of freshly grated Parmegiano Reggiano.

6. Serve. 

Do not forgot to add in a dash of salt and a generous amount of freshly grated Parmeggiano Reggiano just before serving. 

7. Enjoy. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment