Monday, August 29, 2011

Pasta with Tuna, Spinach and Red Pepper Flakes

Okay okay! The original recipe calls for Arugula but my family never liked Arugulas. Its somewhat bitter taste failed to appetize the foodie in their souls. But whatevs! I love Arugulas but since I ain't just cooking for myself here, I have to find a substitute that wilts in the warmth: SPINACH!

I happen to stumble upon this recipe when I was searching for dishes with Arugula. You see, I'm trying to eat organic as early as possible. I planted my own basil and arugula and since then, I've been harvesting my own leafs and herbs. 

Okay, I cheated. It was stated in the recipe actually. Haha!
 I find the first photo with too much garnishes. I got so addicted with spinach that a threw more than a handful. So I grabbed my brother's plate and photographed it instead.
This recipe has been sitting in my top 3 favorite Pasta recipes:
1. Mario Batali's Basil Pesto
2. Giada de Laurentiis' Marinara Sauce for Pasta with basic red sauce
3. Pasta with Tuna, Spinach and Red Pepper Flakes

This can be your basic pasta recipe whenever you feel a little creative and risky. It is very similar to that basic Aglio Olio and everyone can be a little playful with garlic and oil. For this dish, I used spicy canned tuna, added  a third of a cup of roasted pine nuts and threw in a handful of fresh flat leaf Italian Parsley to wilt together with the fresh spinach. The melody of both herbs/veggies create is flavorful. One of the simplest recipe yet very VERY comforting! 

The recipe came from  Simply Recipes. This dish was even featured in San Francisco Chronicle. See, I told you to trust me! Haha! 

YOU NEED:
1 pound dried fettuccine, spaghetti or linguine (use gluten-free pasta for gluten-free version)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, or more to taste, finely minced
Generous pinch hot red pepper flakes
2 6-ounce cans spicy tuna packed in olive oil, drained
1/4 cup roasted pine nuts
Kosher salt
1/2 to 3/4 pound fresh spinach
a handful of fresh flat leaf Italian parsley

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and boil until al dente. 

While pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-low heat. Add the garlic and hot pepper flakes and cook until garlic is fragrant and sizzling. Add tuna and shred it into fine flakes with a fork. Season with salt. Keep warm over low heat. 

Just before the pasta is ready, set aside 1 cup of boiling water. Drain pasta and return it to the warm pot set over moderate heat. Depending on the size of your pot and skillet, either add the arugula and the tuna mixture to the pasta in the pasta pot, or add the drained pasta to the skillet with the tuna mixture and add the arugula, flat leaf parsley and pine nuts . Toss vigorously with tongs, moistening with some of the reserved pasta water. The arugula will wilt in the heat of the pasta. Divide among warm bowls and serve immediately. Serves 4.
 See how easy and fast that is? Serve this for lunch or dinner or just get creative and off you go! I'm planning to add olives and capers the next! You? What are your plans? :)
 

4 comments:

  1. This one is a keeper-love the idea of tuna and spinach with pasta. Bookmarked! Thanks for sharing-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me! It really is a keeper. And you'd love how comforting this dish is when it was very easy to make! And yes, throwing tons of spinach makes it a very healthy meal: One you'd wolf down without thinking twice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's an alternative to pine nuts? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Well for this dish, you may use toasted chopped walnuts, cashew nuts, or even slivered almonds. :) Cashew and Walnuts are both alternatives for pesto.

      Delete