Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Brownie S'mores

What I love about long weekends is that I get to cook and bake all day! :)


Originally, my plan was to make Rocky Road Brownies then I figured I hated peanuts on chocolate so I had to substitute walnuts and pecans and there was this longing to add a caramel fudge and pecans plus caramel fudge would then result to Turtle brownies right? Whatever, let's just bake.

You don't know how excited I was to use Kraft caramels and well, it's my first time to use marshmallows.

The recipe calls for unsweetened chocolate but I have none at hand. Instead, I used a mixture of Tablea, Semi-sweet chocolate chips and Dutch-processed chocolate baking bars.

And the photo below was with a company of a staple ingredient in French cuisine-BUTTER.

While waiting for the brownies to cook, I craved for something to munch towards boredom and I found myself spreading a Laughing Cow Cream Cheese spread. And since I want to get rid of that fake flower as my props, I went for my favorite: Italian flat-leaf parsley.

But I figured I have better plans for the parsley. And so it swam in my cream cheese spread which resulted to a very comforting snack. I got addicted to it though and had a couple. It is addicting. Again, I'm asking you to trust me.

After baking the brownies, I threw in marshmallows, more chocolate chips and a combination of chopped pecans and walnuts. Bring it to melt for another 5 minutes in the oven.

And pour caramel fudge all over.

And the verdict? At one bite, you'd be in an instant chocolate high that it could compete with truffles! And it was sweet. Too sweet to be true! And well, I had to cut it into mini brownie bites for a normal serving would boost your adrenaline in no time!

I also had trouble cutting the brownies into squares because the melted marshmallows stood as a hindrance. It would stick to my knife and would ruin not only the brownie, but also the mood. I think I need to serve this to people with sweet tooth. Not only sweet but I guess those who can tolerate "too sweet" and taste them as "sweet". My sister is an example actually. She found the brownies okay, and not too sweet. I actually never knew the difference of using bittersweet, semi-sweet and unsweetened chocolate. Now I know why. With the sweetness of the toppings namely the mallows, semisweet chocolate chips and caramel fudge; it was dancing together with the sweetness of the brownie. If I followed the recipe through and through, the toppings could have balanced with the brownie. Oh well, we all have to learn the hard way.

Rocky Road brownie recipe is from, Joy of Baking. And I've decided to call these devils brownie S'mores because they actually taste like one!

4 comments:

  1. I like these little indulgent gems! Sometimes just a small sweet bite is all it takes to squash a craving. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! A small bite finishes a craving! :) But I think I'd try this one using unsweetened chocolates, it might lessen the sweetness. Oh well, mistakes make room for more baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bromography, It is! Just remember to use unsweetened chocolate though unless you are ready for an instant chocolate high! :)

    ReplyDelete