Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mario Batali's Basil Pesto

 
I went out to find my Basil ready for harvest yet again. And since I cannot think of any recipe that requires cups and cups of Basil, I decided to make one of the most staple meal in our home (or at least between my sister and I), Basil Pesto.

And not just any Basil Pesto, it's Mario Batali's Basil Pesto. I've encountered too many recipes for Pesto but this one is my favorite so far. I like the fact that he chose to add the cheeses after incorporating olive oil to the basil, pine nuts and garlic via emulsion. I like my food with a bite in it. And did I mention cheeses? I did, right? I love this recipe because it has Pecorino cheese in it and it gives a melted effect on the pasta.

Don't get me wrong, my love for pesto isn't just for basil. I've tried it with walnuts and parsley. But nothing beats the aroma of basil, garlic and pine nuts together. It's that one pesto tradition that I just won't give up. Basil is basil is basil is basil. My love for basil in in the abyss. :)


BASIL PESTO (makes about 1 cup)

3 garlic cloves
2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
3 tablespoons pine nuts
Generous pinch of Maldon or other flaky sea salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons EVOO
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmegiano-Reggiano
3 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano

With the motor running, drop the garlic into a food processor to chop it. Add the basil, pine nuts, and salt and pulse until the basil and pine nuts are coarsely chopped, then process until finely chopped. (But your choice, I like mine coarsely chopped). With the motor running, drizzle in the oil. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the Parmegiano and Pecorino. (The pesto can be stored in a tightly sealed jar, topped with a thin layer of EVOO, for several weeks in the refrigerator.)

That was easy and fast right? Now start cooking! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment