Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ladies who lunch

"I ordered a salad with smoked salmon. I know that doesn't sound like a particularly decadent repast, but it is. that's because the French long aho mastered the art of serving salad so it doesn't feel like a punishment for something. There are always a few caramel-crusted potatoes on your salade nicoise, or a plump chicken liver or two bedded down in a nest of lamb's lettuce. A lot of this has to do with what is called a tartine-a large thin slice of country bread (Polaine if you're lucky) topped with anything from melted goat cheese to shrimp and avocado.

My lunch arrived, a well worn wooden plance heaped with pillowy green lettuce, folded in a creamy, cloudy, mustardy vinaigrette. Balanced on top were three slice of pain Polaine, spread with the merest millimeter of butter, topped with coral folds of salmon. I put away my phone, and asked for the pepper mill and a Perrier. Lowering my sunglasses against the noontime glare, I felt, in the middle of a workday, very much like a lady who lunches." - Elizabeth Bard, Lunch in Paris

I'm posting this because I loved every adjective she used to describe her salad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment