Monday, August 22, 2011

dmargherita goes to Cebu to eat the best pig ever: CnT Lechon

Well, that's what Anthony Bourdain said. We'll see. And who am I to question Anthony Bourdain's verdict? Well, I've always believe that questions and comments give room for improvements so...okay, I'm saving myself here.  

I was to post this last weekend but I don't have the right words to say. I kept on revising and saving and revising and saving. So why am I revising again? I don't know. Maybe I just wanted to kill the time because the office is on lunch break and my next deliverables are all follow-ups so I opened this entry again, and looked at it. Deleted items, pressed CTRL+Z, delete, CTRL+Z. I still don't have the right things to say but forgive me for trying.

Aha! I think I was trying to console myself for braving the heat and polluted road to order a Crispy Chicken Burger from Mcdonalds, only to find that the nearest branch is being renovated. Went to KFC instead to order anything, yes! that's why I love KFC for their menu satisfies the pihikan in me, only to find that I forgot to replenish my wallet. Hahaha! What a very sad day!

So here let me start by saying:
Dad told us he booked the whole family a flight to Cebu to eat Pochero (Luzon's Bulalo) and Lechon from CarCar City. Again, I was left with no choice but to request a leave from work. But hey! Who am I kidding right? Work versus foodtrip? I'll definitely go with foodtrip!

We ate at Jollibee for breakfast whilst waiting for out flight to Cebu. I got intrigued with the natural lighting so I had to take photos.

I really love the dramatic effect a natural lighting can give.

Our flight was delayed. We were supposed to be in Cebu around 9:30 AM but we ended up arriving like 11:00 AM. Good heavens, right? Of course, my dad had to change his itinerary and we ended up eating at CNT Lechon instead of going all the way down to Car Car City.

Before I blog about this CNT Lechon, I think you ought to know that I never had fantasies eating lechon (slow roasted pig). I mean who would want to eat that dish swimming in calories and in fat that would instantly give anyone a hundred reason why you should go and visit the gym. Not only that, without the Mang Tomas sarsa, I find it bland and not enticing at all so why fool myself, right?

I'd watch my weight-conscious aunt smell the lechon and eat vegetables whilst looking at the lechon . She'd curse anyone who would bring lechon during gatherings because she would need a huge volume of self-control to be able to practice self-restraint. And because this post isn't about her. Let's go back, shall we?

CnT Lechon was a hit. Having said that without actually grabbing a taste of the best pig ever, will you take a look at the photos below!:
If you are thinking that CnT might fail you then get ready to battle with his loyalists! Seeing these people made me say, "What is going on here people!?". The conspiracy amused me. I went nearer and nearer to find what exactly was going on. Turned out this people were waiting for their orders; ordering side dishes; getting their numbers; waiting to be called or maybe watching the ladies carry and chop the roasted pig like a pro. Ohhhh wait, they are professionals of course!
That's right. I was surprised to see more ladies getting the job done. See those muscles? No? Okay, I'll zoom. Still no? Well, head for the nearest Cebuano soil then! 

While waiting for the best pig ever to satisfy our hunger (hey that ryhmes!), we ordered side dishes-NOT. Okay, I admit. We ordered dishes to feed the hungry worms screaming for food, food, oh wonderful food!

We ate small orders of Chicharong Bulaklak (crispy pork intestines), Pancit Bihon (a thin white rice noodle dish with chicken, scallions, carrots, soy sauce), Lechon Paksiw (Leftovers of Lechon cooked in vinegar and either sugar or Mang Tomas) and Chopsuey (a chinese-filipino dish primarily made up of mixed vegetable with meat like chicken, fish, beef, shrimp or pork, added for extra flavor). 

All tasted okay except for one. The Lumpiang Ubod was a hit. Well for me, and yes for the rest of the family, we all fell in love with CnT's Lumpiang Ubod.

Lumpiang Ubod is a vegetable dish made with heart of palm with a soft (unfried) wrapper garnished with sweet sauce and crushed peanuts. 

CnT's variation shot us straight to the heart, I mean...stomach. Their variation was partnered with this white peanut sauce. It tasted like that of a sweet mushroom chowder with a strong hint of peanut. It 
 was so awesome that I ate my brother's share. Hahaha!

And the hot seat begins. My dad order a kilo and a half of Lechon. At first, we were all shocked if we can ever finish everything. I took a bite and was caught in abyss...
The best thing about the best pig ever is that you wont need any condiments to spice the flavor. It is good as it is. The skin, that crispy skin that sounds your every bite didn't fail me. In Lechon, the skin is always at the limelight. Throw away everything, leave the skin and you'll be oh so satisfied. 

But the CnT Lechon is way, way, way different. The flavor went deep to the depths of each strings of this fatty goodness. Every bite was just delish! It's really good on its own. Sarsa? What Sarsa? Calories? Grease? What are you talking about? This is my moment with my best pig ever. This is the exact feeling Anthony Bourdain felt. This is really, the best pig ever!

excerpts from Anthony Bourdain's blog:

 "And speaking of pig? It can now be said that of all the whole roasted pigs I’ve had all over the world, the slow roasted lechon I had on Cebu was the best. This puts the standings in the Hierarchy of Pork as follows:
#1. Philippines
#2. Bali
#3. Puerto Rico"


Of course we had to pose for a picture. Say hello to my siblings as we bid goodbye to CnT with an awe. :)

Below are some photos to at least prove to people that hey! We went to Cebu! Philippines takes its pride with some of the churches built during pre-proper-post spanish era. We were invaded by Espana, FYI.




I promised Cebu just as I promised New York that I will be back to fall in love with the city again. :)

Thank you Anthony Bourdain for making us all Filipinos, not only Cebuanos, proud of our culture, home soil and most especially, our food!

3 comments:

  1. nice photos... looks like you enjoy your adventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I actually wanna go back to CEBU and eat all the lechon I want! :)

      Delete
  2. wow... soooo many food... i want lechon too!!!

    ReplyDelete