Monday, August 15, 2011

Celebrity Chef Michael Smith


I remember promising you guys that I'd provide an entry or two for my favorite chefs and influences. So here's my first entry specially devoted to chefs who changes the world one recipe at any given time. Chef at home is close to my heart next to Giada's Everyday Italian. What I love about Chef Smith is that he doesn't only give you the technique, he explains why! I cannot jot down every cooking strategies I learned from him but I'll share those who rocked my cooking world. 

One is do not over stir the brownie batter and use a spatula, for whisks incorporates air into the batter thus failing you to achieve that fudgy brownie goodness. It's better to manually fold the batter than using a mixer to incorporate the ingredients together. If you fold it manually, you'll always know when to stop. It's because of this one technique that I finally mastered my fudgy brownies. Oh, he also said to take it from the stove 5 min before its cooking time to allow the remaining heat from the pan to cook the brownies.

Another technique that I acquired from him is how to melt chocolates. Of course, you have to add butter first before the chocolates, stir a little. Break them down a little bit and take it away from the stove. Again, allow the remaining heat to melt the chocolates and butter. Continue stirring.

Some chefs show knife, oven and stove skills. This guy however takes his time, whilst explaining the need for such strategies, skills and techniques. One show, total learning experience. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment