Monday, August 29, 2011

Lemon Bars

Joy of Baking - Through the years of trial and errors, I've come to trust one site more than I trust anyone. What I love about Joy of Baking is that it gives you a hindsight of each recipes plus her recommendations for each technique down to little what to dos with every ingredient present. 
 This is my third attempt on baking lemon bars. One looked more of a pudding, the second one was a way too tangy and this last one turned out just right. I booked an appointment with Joy of baking for my 2nd and 3rd attempt. The second try, I followed the recipe through and through. It turned out fine though my mom never liked it tangy whereas for me: The tangier, the better! 

For this 3rd attempt, I had to revise the recipe by reducing the amount of lemon juice to balance the sweetness and the wonderful tangy flavor. Also, this recipe has the easiest and the most delish crust to use for tarts! I have used this for my mango, peaches and apple tarts. Even used this crust as a base in my apple cheesecake and it turned out heavenly. Trust me on this one or should I say, trust Joy of Baking. I swear, she's gonna be your best friend in baking. 

So fire away, home chef!

Lemon Bars: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter, or spray with a non stick vegetable spray, an 8 x 8 inch (20 x 20 cm) pan. 


Shortbread crust
1/2 cup (1 stick) (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup (30 grams) confectioner's (powdered or icing) sugar
1 cup (130 grams) all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt

In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth. Add the flour and salt and beat until the dough just starts to come together. Press onto the bottom of your prepared pan and bake for about 18 - 20 minutes, or just until lightly brown around the edges. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool while you make the filling.

Lemon Filling
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 of 1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice 
1 tablespoons (5 grams) grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons (25 grams) all purpose flour

In your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer,  beat the sugar and eggs until nice and smooth. Add the lemon juice and zest and stir to combine. Fold in the flour. Pour the filling over the shortbread crust and bake for about 17-20 minutes, or just until the filling has set. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. 

Garnish
Confectioner's (powdered or icing) sugar
 *Lemon Zest - The yellow outer rind of the lemon that contains the fruit's flavor and perfume. 
TIP:  Always remove the zest first before halving and squeezing the lemon.  Use a fine strainer to remove the seeds and pulp from the juice.

I agree that they are best eaten the day they are made. When it's kind of warm and tangy and just comforting. Partner it with a cup of coffee and you're good to go. :)

PS: I love handling lemons. Why? It perfumes your kitchen with its citrus scent leaving your hands and your kitchen utensils smell clean and just as wonderful. Plus it eliminates kitchen utensil odors (scrubbed my chopping board with lemon and succeeded on killing that garlic smell!).

2 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of these gems! The most important part is getting that right blend of sweet and tangy. Bravo to your patience in getting this just right. Your pictures are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! There is something comforting about this goodies. Thank you very much! :)

    ReplyDelete