Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Blueberry Cheesecake with White Frosting


If there's someone I have to thank for my cheesecake success, it had to be and will always be Yummy Magazines and books. You see, some cookbooks are liars. They'll say you need a cup of this and that but it will end up destroying your food. What I like about Yummy magazines and yummy books is that they give foolproof and kitchen tested recipes that will push you towards success, either by baking your first ever successful cheesecake or maybe even putting up your own food business. :)



This is my second successful cheesecake and you can view the recipe here. And who says we are only limited to just pouring the canned toppings on top of the cheesecake? Hey! if you wanna be the best, we all need to think of better executions, right?


While thinking of better ways to execute my cheesecake, I thought of my fave dessert of all time: Le Bistro Vert's Calamansi Pie. The right amount of sweetness and tanginess is a total hit that makes everyone loco over this mean little thing. And the candied calamansi (Philippine Lemon) is to die for. What actually intrigues me is the cream that sits comfortably on the top of the pie. I can't even distinguish if it's a whipped cream or an icing made from egg whites and sugar.

So I turned to my other bestfriend, allrecipes and searched for White Frostings. And oh well, I saw this!


White Frosting


Ingredients

1 cup white sugar

  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Directions

  1. In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, water and cream of tartar. Cook over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbly.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and vanilla to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar mixture while whipping constantly until stiff peaks form, about 7 to 10 minutes. Frost the cake of your choice.

I wasn't that disappointed though when I found out that it didn't taste the same like that of Calamansi Pie because the frosting turned out sweet and yummy. Tasted like marshmallows! I think I'm gonna use this for my Cupcake S'mores (draw light bulb here).

It was my first time to whip egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar and it turned out this good! But since I'm a big fan of cheesecakes with hints of tang, I could rate the frosting: so-so. The kids loved it. To be honest, my whole family did for they have sweet tooth like you can never imagine!

And because I doubled the White Frosting recipe, I had a bowl of goodness that waits to be popped in the oven whilst trusting my instinct that it will get baked like meringues and yes, let's toast to another award for I pinned it down twice a row! Ding ding ding ding!

Please forgive me for the poor lighting. :(

And when I said it was my brother's birthday, I wasn't kidding! We had Shrimp Camarons, Sushi, Maki, Roasted Chicken and 2 kinds of Stir-fried noodles and we had brownies, cookies and a cheesecake for dessert.

Enjoy eating and cooking and drooling. I love reading food blogs, you should too! :)

All photos are mine #toolazytowatermark except for the Calamansi Pie photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment