Friday, October 14, 2011

Almost-Puttanesca with Shrimp and Crumbled Feta Cheese


Pasta the way a whore would make it or let's call this Pasta alla Puttanesca. The reason why it's called pasta of the whores is because of the easy availability of the ingredients for this dish. And to attest for the availability, I opened my almost gone-with-the-wind pantry and found anchovies, black and green olives, and tomatoes. I also have to discard my feta cheese and well, my almost wilting basil leaves. 

Now I guess you are all wondering why Almost Puttanesca. Haven't you guessed yet what I lacked for this dish to pass as the pasta of the whores? I LACKED CAPERS! Why on earth did I run out of capers? Why? It is a staple ingredient in my pasta! I like my pasta with capers! I like my crostinis with capers! I like everything with capers. And yes, the reason why is because my dad hates it. Well, as a newly unemployed lady, I have to abide by my dad's grocery rules which includes: NO CAPERS FOR HE HATES CAPERS. Fine, I'm still not over that I don't have capers.

But since a good cook can whip up anything so #challengeisfreakinaccepted!

Like what Chef Michael Smith always say, "the best recipe is cooking without a recipe!" 

So to start, in a large skillet over medium heat, saute 5 cloves of minced garlic and 2 diced shallots in EVOO. They say that olive oil when heated results to a decreased flavor so just throw your garlic and shallots the moment you turn on the stove to preserve the oil's flavor. Throw in your 5-8 anchovy flakes and crushed pepper flakes (amount is according to your taste) until the anchovies melt into oil and completely dissolved. and After which, I added a cup of finely diced carrots for a hint sweetness and I like veggies on my pasta , 1/2 cup of diced olives, combination of black and green pitted olives. After which, I added 1/2 cup of white wine and let it simmer for a bit until wine is almost absorbed. Then you add 1 packet of tomato paste and a cup or two of tomato sauce. Add a teaspoon of thyme and oregano, and a tablespoon of dried parsley (you can omit this if you have fresh flat leaf parsley and add them just before serving. Simmer in low heat. Pour into pasta together with your seasoned and blanched shrimps. Add crumbled feta cheese and julienned basil just before serving.  

A result is a robust and hearty tomato-based pasta. Partner with wine for a good dinner. BON APETIT! :)

And I swear there's a shrimp in there, see!

No comments:

Post a Comment