Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Binagoongang Baboy (Pork cooked in Shrimp Paste)

I'm not the greatest cook when it comes to Filipino cuisine but don't get me wrong for I do know the basics. And the basics exclude celebratory dishes like Kare-kare, Dinuguan and well...in today's case, Binagoongang Baboy. But since my mom's OT, I have no choice but cook blindly, yet again. Haha! 

And today, the wonders of breaking down ingredients when eating came to life.

What I did was saute chopped garlic, onion and tomatoes. After which, I threw in the pork cutlets, 1/2 cup water to cook the meat and a good estimate of cooked bagoong (shrimp paste). A little salt and pepper here and there. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meat is thoroughly cooked. Throw in your julienned siling Jalapena and cook in high heat for another 5-10 minutes to thicken the sauce. Note that your cooked bagoong might produce oil when cooked but this is a good sign. This will add flavor to the dish. Garnish with julienned siling Jalapena. :)

Delish plate from a first timer. Mom liked it actually but told me that a Binagoongang Baboy is cooked with a dash of vinegar. Nevertheless, they all liked it except that my brother asked me to not remove the chili seeds next time because he really likes it spicy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment