Monday, November 5, 2012

PenPen's

It was @pingmedina who made me so effin' curious about this restaurant for he'd tweet Filipino comfort dishes with a twist. True enough, there's something comforting about their food that it feels so homey bite after bite. 

I wasn't prepared plus I didn't really know what to order so I asked the waiter and foursquare what their bestsellers were. He said locals usually order their Crispy Liempo and that it's actually a PenPen trademark so...

Crispy Liempo

It was okay but kudos to a new way of serving liempo. If I were to describe this dish, it's actually strips/bacons of fat, deep fried to goodness and that, it's not good for your heart! Haha! Taste is so-so. There's nothing to rave about but it wasn't bad either. What I do like about this dish is that it create fireworks inside your mouth not because of its taste but because of the sound it creates every munch. It's kind of addicting, actually. 

Lechon Kawali with Vinaigrette

Nothing special about this dish but partnering it with vinaigrette is just pure genius! Though their vinaigrette tastes more like a sweet soy sauce with vinegar, I think it would be more awesome if they used balsamic vinegar, olive oil and pepper flakes. Ah! The good life, if ever!!! 

Creamy Kalabasa Soup

I really saved the best for last. This dish is what surprised Dan and I. Creamy Kalabasa soup. Why? The only reason why we ordered this is because I want a veggie-fix. I originally ordered for their Eggplant Ensalada only to find that it's not available that night so I looked for an alternative and found this! <3

It's creamy and homey and I don't know. It actually makes me happy everytime I can't deconstruct a dish because it means that the ingredients are well married together. I'm guessing caramelized onions are present because I can feel and taste them in my tongue but that's just my curious guess. :P 

This Creamy Kalabasa soup now sits next to my fave soup of all time: Spicy Pumpkin Soup of Le Bistro Vert's. 

Also, look at their cutesy little treasure box for your food bill and pennies. :D

PenPen's do serve Filipino comfort food goodness that won't hurt your budget. Go try them if you need a little comforting today (BADUY! Pinilit lang! HAHAH!).

15-A Gen. Romulo Ave., Cubao Expo, Araneta Center
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

#coupleapproves

No comments:

Post a Comment