Monday, September 10, 2012

Why hello there BonChon

So I'm here again writing about the infamous chicken that hit the #1 spot in the New York best Asian chicken wings chart. Let's start, shall we?



Amidst the crispy somewhat sweet and spicy front burns a super moist and juicy interior. That's what you get for ordering the infamous korean fried chicken from BonChon.

It's a good thing though that I've tasted the authentic BonChon from Korea itself, (I know, I haven't posted Day 2 and 3...I'm still building the drive to do so..) that's why I can actually say if it's good or not. So as much as why BonChon disappoints me with its kapiranggot servings, here are other ways why I really don't get that happy belly:

First things first, let's rate the kimchi they just served me. Does this look like kimchi to you? I've tasted different kinds of kimchi but this one is really slapping a big question mark on my face. Fiiiinneeeee. Let's head straight to taste. Fail. Tasted more like a Coleslaw than kimchi. *thumbs down*



Let's move on people. Japchae/ Chapchae. The only thing that's keeping me from eating the whole serving is because I love Chapchae and knowing that BonChon's version might either delight or disappoint me is a sad ending for my head-over-hells of the infamous sweet potato noodle stir-fry. Though according to history, Japchae was originally made without noodles, but instead, it is compromised with various thinly shredded veggies! According to Mr. Kang, a good friend of my dad, Japchae is considered as one of their celebration noodles. I asked him why and found out that it was because the dish is kind of hard to prepare. Well...maybe or maybe not but I found out via wiki that it is really considered a celebratory dish. Thanks for the heads up Mr. Kang and for that wonderful Japchae, Ms. Hong! :)

And there, BonChon's Chapchae closed my heaven's doors in one bite. It's not as tasty like Ms. Hong's plus I liked Kaya's version better. I even promised Dan to cook him a better Chapchae at home just coz I ate my words the minute he took a bite and replied, "okay Lang naman siya..." and it was because I promised him heaven and he tasted....

It was kind of bland, okay? And it lacks umami, that basic taste we're all looking for.



Moving on to Chicken. Crispy? Check! Moist? Check! Yum? Hmmm so-so? The inside meat lacked delish factor and tasted kind of bland too. Looks like the infamous yummy marinade failed to get it's hand on the meat itself and settled only in the exterior. Well, I'm not judging all but this one particular chain located at SMN truly lacks the "nanunuot" factor in their chickens!



So....yay or nay? :))


No comments:

Post a Comment