Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pantry Pasta

When you cook pasta almost everyday, chances are you can almost (disclaimer just in case of unfortunate mishaps) throw anything and everything in it and still whip up a damn good dish.

When I say pantry, what ingredients cross your mind? In my case, it's pasta, canned tuna, black and green pitted olives, anchovies and cheese! Of course, the basics like kosher salt, pepper, olive oil, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and  tons and tons of dried herbs.

This is a pasta dish I manage to whip up whenever surprise guests come my way and I'm left with nothing but half an hour to prepare. Peg Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals!

Warning: I do not measure my ingredients for I'm a firm believer of whip it according to your taste! 

Bring a large pot of water to a boil to the pasta.
Heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the anchovies. Shake until anchovies begin to break up, reduce the heat a bit then uncover and stir until the anchovies melt in the extra virgin olive oil. Add the canned tuna and cook for 1 minute or so. Add the chili pepper and garlic, then stir for a couple of minutes. Add the chopped black and green olives. Toss in your pasta, chopped roasted walnuts, for that little bite in your pasta, and 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.

If dish comes too dry, pour your reserved starchy cooking water and toss over high heat. You may add a cup of arugula or flat leaf parsley for a little healthy kick. I have none so I cooked with what's left in my pantry: canned tuna, pitted olives and parmesan cheese. If you don't have anchovies, feel free to leave it for the dish will taste just as good. You can also add in a cup of toasted bacon for those who want their fat-fix.

This can be your basic oil-based pasta and the possibilities are endless.
You? What's your Pantry Pasta? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment