Monday, November 28, 2011

Sarang Hamnaeda, Korea! DAY 1

We were planning this trip for years! Korea has been in every Filipinos' hearts since Endless Love series took us by storm. Not to mention when Gu Jun Pyo and Ji Hoo took over Philippines! Ibang klase ang addiction sa K-Pop, K-series, K-fashion and K-everything! 

So imagine the excitement we tried to contain, that my dad accidentally booked Busan instead of Incheon but that's another looong story---so let's leave that one out. What happened was very touching though, his friends drove all the way from Cheonan to Busan for like 4 hours!!!

A funny thing happened at the airport. My dad only knew his friends by Mr. Moon and Mr. Kang. He doesn't even know their whole family name. Or their home address. Imagine the consul asking random questions about lodging, money, hosts and how we'll get around and my dad was there answering, "I don't know."  Not only once, twice but everytime the consul asks questions. What settled the argument was when my dad gave them Mr. Moon's number. After which, our passports got stamped! :) 

11/11/11 - Annyeonghaseyo Busan, Korea
  
I really liked how they made us embrace the whole korean culture. They never made us eat anything foreign. Even the tables are presented in a very korean manner. As in we'll have to sit in the floor. :) We drank agad nung first night! SOJUUUUUU! :))
Fast fact: Did you know in Korea they only serve San Miguel Beers in 5-star hotels!!! For REAL! So Filipinos, be proud!!

And we got our first korean won too! :D And me being the noona, got the highest! :D


The yummiest fried chicken ever! I liked the soy-flavored better!!! Eh icongrats niyo ako dahil ang hirap pigilan na huwag maubos yung chicken a! Dahil gutom na gutom ako at sobrang sarap niya talaga! E nahiya lang ako kase ako ata umuubos ng pulutan nila. :))

What a way to celebrate your 11/11/11 right? :)

11/15/11 - Mannaseo Bangawoyo, Yonggungsa Temple! :)

And look how beautiful the next morning was! I like how the leaves contrast each other! :) This means a very very very good morning Koreaaaa! <3


And hello to my first ever authentic Korean noodles! Like yuuuum! I like everything spicy so yummy yummy yummy and did I just say yummy? Plus it was very cold outside to noodles, I sooo love you today! :))

We visited Yonggungsa Temple before we left for Cheonan. I'm fond of history and culture and while I was there, all I can think of is take photos and maybe spend a day alone savoring the beauty of nature. Imagine seeing temples for the first time and being invited to an absolutely beautiful and serene place. I wanted to stay longer and you know, reflect maybe. It has that surrounding vibe. Yun lang, even though we're asians or let me change it to Pacific Highlanders, kitang-kita pa rin na foreigner kami. We want to look local as much as possible. :)) Good thing that there are american, british and russian foreigners as well so keri lang!


And of course, we ate fish cakes! Gu Jun Pyo's fave! And it was really yummy! You hafta trust me on this one. I mean Jun Pyo's choice. HAHAHA! You can even drink the soup where it was boiled. And the soup is as yummy. :)

Those are all fish cakes, actually. Fish cakes in different executions. It was boiled in kimchi marinade, shrimps and onion leeks. No more, no less! :) The white one in the upper right corner is a radish, boiled. I didn't eat it though. Was too busy munching on the REAL fish cakes. HAHAHA! I really like the curly fish cakes. Mukhang isaw but very yummy! 


After trying every streetfood they have, we went to the Seafood Market. According to Mr. Moon and Mr. Kang, it's very popular in Busan!...or I'm quoting myself here, in the whole of Korea! <3 

Seafood Market is like our good old Dampa but nicer! Satin kase patay na yung ganito, ganyan. Ang buhay lang, hipon, hito, tilapia at iba pang pwedeng buhay. Sakanila, ultimong shells! Buhay na buhay. Mga suso, mga mollusk, sea cucumbers at lahat ng isda or sea creatures to be exact! Sea Creatures na ang peg! Lahat alive ang ganap! Waley ka talagang makikitang deads and you'll stand there amazed na parang nasa Ocean Park ka! Parang ocean museum talaga only that you could touch and eat the yummy creatures here! Yummy talaga, hindi beautiful e no! Gutom na e, sorry! Yun talaga ang lamang dito e, pwede mo kase kainin! Hindi sightseeing lang ang peg! :))

Look at how my dad enjoys in his pretty haven. Hobby kase ng dad ko mamalengke kaya tingnan mo akala mo nasa Grand Canyon ang ganap! Ay wrong, gawin nlng naten Great Barrier Reef sa AU! Para mej okay ang pagcomparables!


And always the best part! We get to eat like Koreans! Yun talaga e! Indian Sit! Lotus sit, lahat na! Nakakangawit at times pero masasanay karin in the end. Yun lang, pag natapunan ka, hindi lang sa kwelyo, minsan pati sa pants or in my case, sa dress at tights! We ordered only 2 courses. The sashimi and the octopus cooked in Kimchi marinade. They cook everything in kimchi marinade here. Well not all, but most of their cooking. Haler, kaya nga may Kimchi soup dba? Palag pa? Palag? EHEHE! 

Random fact: Did you know that in Korea, appetizers are all free! As in free kimchi, free pickled onion leeks, free this and that. I like the shredded cabbage in sesame seeds and pork floss! Nakailang refill kami ng dad ko, e free naman so who cares! We only paid for the sashimi and cooked octopus. I wish they could apply it here in the PHL too. Korean restaurants charge you for side dishes e. I daresay if you are claiming "authentic" then serve authentic! Hindi lang sa food, pati sa way of presenting and eating the food! Am I right or am I right? :D 

( From top to bottom: Boiled or pickled squash, snails (yummy!) and pickled onion leeks)

Sashimiiii! According to Mr. Moon, in Korea or well maybe this rule applies to all: When you eat something raw, it should be fresh and alive. You cannot sashimi a fish when its dead. So not allowed!

Close-up photo to appetize your salivaric amylase. :P

Mi Favorito: Sesame Paste! I put it in everything. In my rice, in my lettuces in every little thing! I like how it adds that kick and flavor to everything.

Yummy yummy snails! You pick them out of the shell using toothpicks. :D

 Mr. Moon demonstrating us how to eat the mint? leaves and romaine lettuces. It's a free for all! Here is a sashimi, garlic and sesame paste wrapped in a mint? leaf.

This octopus was cooked alive. My dad saw it that's why he tried so hard to not eat this dish. It was super yummy by the way! The alive octopus was cooked again in a kimchi marinade and onion leeks! I reaaaalllly love this dish!!! <3

Presenting the woman behind the yummy yummy dishes! :) She gave us  free coffees afterwards! And not to mention, the unlimited refill of side dishes! Saranghae!!! <3

Soju everyday, everyday OK!

Before we hit the road, Mr. Moon bought us Fulpangs (rice cake with monggo paste) for dessert! Me likey! It was an instant hit! I kept asking them the name of these goodies til I memorized it by heart: FULPANG! (Correct my spelling if wrong. Thanks!) What a very yummy street dessert!


On our way home, we ate Gyoza (korean version) and dried squid! The dried squid was yummy for it was sweet and not salty! Di na kelangan ng vinegar and rice! Talagang papak to the highest level ang ganap! Nom nom nom nom nom! We never felt hungry the whole trip mainly because we were like eating the whole day!!! No space for new food!!


And after that 4-hour drive, we finally arrived in Cheonan. We were welcomed by the Moon and Kang family and their cutieeee children! I'm sorry but I was starstruck! I only see korean kids in TV so I had to savor the moment for a while. 

And man, just take a look at what we ate for dinner!! I can only name a few so let me try. 3 kinds of kimchi, Beef Bulgogi, Beef Kalbi (korean BBQ), Jap Chae, Dilis in sweet syrup with toasted peanut and sesame seeds (a crowd pleaser!), Quail eggs in soysauce and sesame seeds, and the leafy greens that I loooove! :D 

According to Mr. Kang, Jap Chae noodles are like their celebration noodles. When you are served a Jap Chae, it means you are considered as their V.I.P. My dad joked them saying, "YES! I'm V.I.B! Very important Bernie!" in which they all agreed. Whuuuuut?)

And we get to eat like koreans again! Lotus sit anyone? :*


The ladies behind the yummy dinner! Ms. Hong and Ms. Lee.
Fast Fact: Did you know that married women in Korea retain their surnames even after marriage? It's a culture. Only their children carry the father's surname. :)


Look at Souya! <3

And the leafy greens that I soooo love! I wish romaine is as basic as our every own sitaw, bataw, patani.....! 

We started the day eating and we ended it by eating too! Prolly explains my weight gain! HOHOHO!

So that's it for Day 1! Crossing fingers it won't take long before I post Day 2. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment