Monday, January 2, 2012

Better than flowers

And my best friend came home bearing gifts. He came home crossing out an entry in my bucket list and that is to have my very own herb garden this year. 

1. Basil
Basil is like my favorite next to salt. 
Well, honestly, basil used to reign my favorite-department until I had an epiphany with salt. I found out that salt is everyone's basic ingredient. A kitchen isn't complete without her salt. Salt brings out the flavor in every dish and when I say all, I mean all.

I've been baking for a while now without understanding the power of salt in baking. Yes! Martha Stewart, Ina Garten, Giada de Laurentiis, Sugar, Anna Olsen and the rest of the celebrity chefs may say, "salt is your basic ingredient"on repeat but I just followed them without asking questions like how and why. Until I found it out on my own. I was cooking caramel. And no matter how much I add this and that, it just tasted sweet. Just sweet. Not delish, not yummy. So I asked for salt's help and aha! It brought out the flavor of the caramel. It became rustic and robust and okay, I'll stop now because this entry is about BASIL and I've been talking about salt the whole time. 

Going back, basil, as my second favorite spice or in herb's case --- still my favorite herb, I can toss it out on anything. And when I say anything, I mean everything. I've been using basil in my pasta, in my pesto, in my marinades, in my bruschetta, in my margherita. I really love basil when partnered with tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and olive oil. Add a sprinkle of salt there and ready your rusty bread. I love the simplicity of basil and I love how complex it can be when powered up with other ingredients. Take pesto for example, the taste of basil leaves with pine nuts and garlic is just pure HEAVEN. <3 Pesto may look like a complicated dish but when learned, it's as basic as your red sauce. :)

2. Rosemary
If there's something I can cook with fresh Rosemary, it's Pan-grilled beef and eggplants in rosemary and soy sauce. I once encountered this dish from my mom's bestfriend. She served us Roast Beef for dinner. I loved her roast beef that much that I asked for the ingredients and she told me, "Rosemary and Soy Sauce! And pop into the oven!" 

But since I'm not that good with handling and cooking beef, I chose to pan-grill it instead and I guess my method was way way better. Hahaha! (buhatan na ng bangko!) 

Rosemary can also be added in your basic red sauce. Can be used for marinades! Roasted Chicken Rosemary is to die for! My mom usually roasts chicken marinated with Rosemary and Lemongrass. It is actually a popular ingredient in marinades for meat and poultry. Another reason to marinate that beef/poultry with rosemary is because the antioxidant compounds in the herb fight bacteria and prevent meat from spoiling and well, may even make cooked meats healthier. 

Try olive oil, garlic and rosemary rub. Or even my trusted soy sauce, rosemary and olive oil rub. I just love how flavorful and robust rosemary is. 

I was researching for more recipes that use fresh rosemary for I have always believed that if you have it fresh, use it fresh or maybe i just ran out of dried rosemary. But my favorite part in cooking is always using the freshest ingredients so I ran to this: http://lovingnaturesgarden.com/2010/12/fresh-rosemary-holiday-recipes/

The site features rosemary recipes from celebrity chefs and since I'm cooking blindfolded here, I'mma need help from the kitchen gods! 


3. Pineapple Sage
I failed to get photos of its flowers. How could I when they look so pretty!!! And since it was my first 
to encounter Pineapple Sage, I had to ask google for help. Hey, I know sage but Pineapple Sage? That's a BIG QUESTION MARK in my tiny head.

Yet yet yet yet according to google, you can trade in Pineapple Sage for Sage anytime. So that means anything poultry can actually opt for my good friend here in case Sage turned them down.

We actually harvest the new leaves because it is the most aromatic. You wanna put that aroma in your dish. The leaves can be used to flavor teas and even cocktails. Chopped leaves can be used in chicken and pork dishes. Even cream cheese dips. Now I'm thinking of adding it to my cheesecake...everyone's allowed to experiment right? It's flowers can be tossed in salads!

And so with google's help, I therefore conclude that anything added with pineapple sage makes a dish dance in luau. Right? But of course, I need to try this first before you agree with me. I don't want you guys to jump blindfolded and curse me in the end. Haha!


And guess what, it has this little urban legend too. Did you know that the plant would thrive or wither according to its owner's fortune? :)

Reminder is always add fresh sage leaves after cooking. Okay guys? :)

4. Thyme
Butter and Thyme. Butter and Thyme. What a playback. I got intrigued with thyme after watching US 
Masterchef. There was this challenge that they had to marinade a cream dory fillet and what the girl did was marinade it with butter and thyme. And she got straight A's! The chef told her that butter and thyme go well together. Really? Let me try. :)

According to Market Manila, thyme also go well with lemon. Yes! That infamous lemon and thyme roasted chicken! And even with some filipino dishes like Paksiw na Lechon. Lightbulb. What if I put a sprig in my adobo?

Thyme matches well with beef, carrots, chicken, fish, goat cheese, onions, pork, potatoes, soups, tomatoes and etc. Is it me or we talking about a bedding for a roasted chicken? Or beef? Or anything that needs a whole lot of roasting? Hahaha!








So the herbs I hafta buy to actually have a full-pledged herb garden are:

1. Parsley but I sometimes wish we have Italian flat-leaf parsley in the PHL. :(
2. Sage
3. Italian Oregano
4. Tarragon
5. Dill Weed
6. Mint
7. Chives! Haha!

Are we talking about a garden or a FARM? :))

Lastly, I'd like to apologize for not posting my cooking escapades lately. Our kitchen is being renovated so really, I don't have the drive to actually experiment. But I solemnly swear that I am up to good once it's finished! I swear and swear and take my word for it. I am now actually reading yummy books to create my menu for the year. Of course, I could only cook every Sundays but who cares! At least we get to eat decent courses on Sundays. YES? :)

And of course my dear readers (Readers? Akala mo ang dami e I only have one! Hi Amica! <3 ), I want you to meet ze bestfriend who is planning to cross out my whole bucket list except for the Beach-alone entry. Hahaha!

Happy New Year everyone! I promise to be a better blogger this year! Packed with food photo tutorials from Plate to Pixel. I'm starting you right 2012! :*

1 comment: